Home » » Johnny Cash movie

Johnny Cash movie


I don't really trust musicians in movies. A number of reasons. One is that judging an actor's work is subjective, and I don't entirely trust my subjective judgment. If it's a singer, I think, well, I know he's not a real actor.

There are all these singers who were probably perfectly fine actors----Elvis, Johnny Cash, Mel Torme, Frank Sinatra. But I just can't trust my judgment.

Plus actors who are already singing sensations, even if they are new as actors, can't be pressured into doing anything degrading or humiliating like other new stars are. Even Chuck Norris had to do horrible, horrible things on screen in his early days. You see a big music star in a movie, you know full well they won't have a nude scene----although----didn't Rick Springfield (was that his name) appear nude in something?

Okay, so I watched a movie last night. Five Minutes to Live. AKA Door to Door Maniac. I was working as I watched it and didn't pay close attention. But it was made around 1961, starring Johnny Cash as a vicious criminal. And there's something about him that was kind of frightening. He was extremely religious and probably a perfectly nice fellow, but when he's waving a gun around----

Cash takes a woman hostage in her house. His partner, Vic Tayback, goes to the bank where her husband works and forces him to hand over the money.

It was a nice, low budget movie. With adorable little Ronnie Howard at age 6 or 7 in a pivotal role.

Oh, I guess I'm not giving too much away----the woman's husband is about to leave her for another woman and isn't that upset at the thought of her being killed. Kind of a non-comedic version of Ruthless People.